USING YOUR TALENTS WISELY
In this parable we will learn that we must use what God has given us
for the betterment of his Kingdom.
KJV Matthew 25:14-30
14. For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into
a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his
15. And unto one he gave five talents, to another two,
and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and
straightway took his journey.
16. Then he that had received the five talents went and
traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
17. And likewise he that had received two, he also gained
18. But he that had received one went and digged in the
earth, and hid his lord's money.
19. After a long time the lord of those servants cometh,
and reckoneth with them.
20. And so he that had received five talents came and brought
other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents:
behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
21. His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful
servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler
over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
22. He also that had received two talents came and said,
Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other
talents beside them.
23. His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful
servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler
over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
24. Then he which had received the one talent came and
said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast
not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
25. And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the
earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
26. His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and
slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather
where I have not strawed:
27. Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the
exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with
28. Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto
him which hath ten talents.
29. For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he
shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even
that which he hath.
30. And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there
shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
God gives us our abilities (talents)
KJV 1 Peter 4:11
11. If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;
if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth:
that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be
praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
I. The Church is made up of a multitude of talents
KJV Romans 12:3-8
3. For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every
man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought
to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man
the measure of faith.
4. For as we have many members in one body, and all members
have not the same office:
5. So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every
one members one of another.
6. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that
is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion
7. Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that
teacheth, on teaching;
8. Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do
it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy,
The body is one with many IMPORTANT parts
KJV 1 Corinthians 12:12-27
12. For as the body is one, and hath many members, and
all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is
13. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body,
whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been
all made to drink into one Spirit.
14. For the body is not one member, but many.
15. If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I
am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16. And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye,
I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
17. If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing?
If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
18. But now hath God set the members every one of them
in the body, as it hath pleased him.
19. And if they were all one member, where were the body?
20. But now are they many members, yet but one body.
21. And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need
of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
22. Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem
to be more feeble, are necessary:
23. And those members of the body, which we think to be
less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely
parts have more abundant comeliness.
24. For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered
the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which
25. That there should be no schism in the body; but that
the members should have the same care one for another.
26. And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer
with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.
27. Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
II. Sometimes others can help us see our talents
Without counsel people fall
KJV Proverbs 11:14
14. Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude
of counsellers there is safety.
A wise man will seek counsel
KJV Proverbs 12:15
15. The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he
that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.
Use many counselors if possible
KJV Proverbs 15:22
22. Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude
of counsellers they are established.
III. We must allow ourselves to be used for the betterment of the Kingdom
KJV 1 Timothy 1:12
12. And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that
he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
Refer to Acts 9:1-18
IV. We must not bury our talents
We need to be more than content and lukewarm
KJV Revelation 3:14-22
14. And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans
write; these things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the
beginning of the creation of God;
15. I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot:
I would thou wert cold or hot.
16. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold
nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with
goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched,
and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18. I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire,
that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed,
and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes
with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous
therefore, and repent.
20. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man
hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with
him, and he with me.
21. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me
in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in
22. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith
unto the churches.
Striving to have an open door before us
KJV Revelation 3:7-13
7. And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write;
These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key
of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man
8. I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an
open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and
hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
9. Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan,
which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them
to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
10. Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also
will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the
world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
11. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast,
that no man take thy crown.
12. Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple
of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name
of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem,
which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him
my new name.
13. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith
unto the churches.
Copyright 2001 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.